Academic Advising promotes the holistic growth of students, respectful of their individual goals. Our integrated program works collaboratively with the University community in support of students’ academic success. Academic Advising also maintains student records, provides essential academic information, and interprets academic policy for new freshmen, new transfers, and current students.
What is Academic Advising?
The academic advising process is considered a very important aspect of a student’s educational experience at Saint Louis University. The goals of the advising process are to assist students in their understanding of academic requirements, to nurture intellectual maturation and self-confidence, to encourage students to take an active role in the advisement process, and to foster a positive working relationship between advisors and students.
At Saint Louis University, it is our expectation that all of our students will be successful. An ongoing and effective advising relationship can be a major ingredient in a recipe for academic success.
In addition to advising services, Undergraduate Student Services provides the following assistance to undergraduates:
- course registration
- adding/dropping classes
- approval of summer coursework away from SLU
- study abroad planning
- academic program changes
- exploring non-business school certificates
- minors, and majors
- referral as needed to appropriate support offices.
Important information will be communicated through your SLU email account. It is your responsibility to check this on a regular basis.
An Academic Advisor will:
- Protect and secure the integrity of the SLU degree by enforcing University and departmental policies and requirements.
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum; graduation requirements; and University and college policies and procedures in order to provide helpful and appropriate advisement and mentoring.
- Be available, approachable, personable, and demonstrate concern for and interest in an advisee.
- Assist students in working closely with their faculty mentors and their professors.
- Make appropriate referrals within the University; encourage advisees to develop skills that will lead to self-responsibility.
- Have profound respect for each individual advisee and serve as a model of the educated person.
- Maintain confidentiality (will not discuss issues with parents and non-University persons without the student’s written permission).
An Advisee will:
- Display respect for the advisor and has a positive attitude toward the advising process.
- Meet the advisor at appropriate times and come to advising appointments prepared to assume responsibility for degree planning.
- Clarify personal values and goals and provide advisor with accurate information regarding academic interests and abilities.
- Seek to become acquainted with the academic structure of the University / school / college program.
- Become knowledgeable about academic programs, policies, and procedures and utilize available University resources and services.
- Ask questions if he or she does not understand an issue or has a specific concern.
Expected Student Learning Outcomes
Through the advising experience at Saint Louis University, academic advisees will acquire the ability to:
|Access information about campus resources|
|Identify the academic advisor and faculty mentor|
|Understand prerequisites & course sequences|
|Know how to access information about academic success|
|Understand registration policies & procedures|
|Register using Banner Self-Service|
|Calculate a SLU semester & cumulative GPA|
|Locate & use the University Academic Calendar and the Undergraduate Catalog|
|Identify information about the Jesuit model of education & the Five Dimensions|
|Understand the degree requirements|
|Work effectively with a faculty mentor to review the academic progress in an intended or declared academic program|
|Develop attainable academic goals|
|Understand appropriate formal academics processes|
|Identify internship opportunities|
|Year Three & Four|
|Integrate elements of the Jesuit model of education & the Five Dimensions of the SLU experience into curriculum|
|Understand the application for the degree conferral process|
|Access information about the post-graduation employment opportunities|
|Access information about professional school & graduate school opportunities|
|Understand Commencement & the degree conferral process|