SLU Sports Business Summer Academy
Sports Business Summer Academy: June 20 - June 24
Saint Louis University’s Sports Business Summer Academy at the John Cook School of Business is a special program developed to introduce rising high school juniors and seniors to the business of sports. During the four day program, students are introduced to basic business concepts related to sports through presentations by faculty and industry professionals.
Engaging in this new material, students work in teams to develop solutions to real-life sports business scenarios inspired by the experiences of area industry professionals. On the final day of the Sports Business Summer Academy, teams compete for prizes and present their final projects to a panel of judges. Awards are then given to participants at the closing luncheon, to which families are encouraged to attend.
Participants of Saint Louis University’s Sports Business Summer Academy will:
- Learn basic business concepts and how to apply them to the sports business industry
- Explore an array of careers in sports business
- Interact with faculty and influencers in the Saint Louis Sports Business market
- Collaborate effectively with others to develop an present a cohesive business plan
- Experience Saint Louis University’s college campus by staying four nights on an on-campus residence hall
- On site tours of local sports teams, along with presentations by team executives.
- Work in teams to develop, propose, and present a final solution to a real world sports business simulation
- Learn how sports organizations work behind-the-scenes to accomplish their business objectives
- Attend seminars taught by top-ranked SLU faculty specializing in Sports Business
- Receive one-on-one mentoring from undergraduate sports business students at Saint Louis University
- Build new friendships and community in a fun and educational atmosphere
The Campus Experience
Participants experience a true taste of college life in their four days at Saint Louis University. Students stay in on-campus dormitories and eat several meals in campus dining halls. Day time activities and lectures are hosted in the John Cook School of Business, a state-of-the-art learning facility with modern updates.
In addition, students receive complimentary access to the Simon Recreation center throughout their stay. Male and female counselors chaperone students for the entire duration of the Academy.
Applying to the Academy
To apply for the Sports Business Summer Academy, download the application and have the completed application form mailed to the John Cook School of Business with the following:
- 1 page typed (single-spaced) essay about your interest in Sports Business as a career
- Current official high school transcript
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or high school counselor
- Upon acceptance, tuition to attend the academy is $850. Scholarship opprotunities are available.
- All Lodging and Meals
- Transportation to/from St. Louis airport
- Course Material
- Ticket to Cardinal game (June 17 vs. Texas Rangers)
- Academy T-Shirt and Gift Pack
- Access to SLU’s Simon Recreation Center
- Personal photo & certificate of completion
- CD recording of all group presentations
- Concluding luncheon ceremony (family members invited)
Brett A. Boyle
John Cook School of Business
Saint Louis University
3674 Lindell Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63108
Scholarships for Summer Academies are being offered through Summer at SLU. To apply, fill out this application and mail to the address listed on the form.